Strategic Marketing Affiliates, Inc. (SMA) is committed to assisting insurance agents/providers in their efforts to provide the required insurance coverage to their licensee clients.
All SMA standard licensees are required to obtain a minimum of $1 million in general insurance, including product liability and other coverage. Insurance is required to help protect the licensee, the institutions, and SMA in the case of any claims of damages or defects related to the collegiate licensed merchandise, as well as other liability claims. All standard licensees, regardless of products or potential risk, are required to obtain this insurance. Some licensees with higher risk products will be required to obtain additional coverage beyond the $1 million level.
Detailed Insurance Information Document, including Insurance Agent Instructions, and Certificate and Endorsement Examples
Note: The Detailed Insurance Information Document requires Adobe's free Acrobat Reader.
SMA Insurance Requirements
- A Certificate of Insurance must be provided to SMA, as a binder is not sufficient to meet SMA's insurance requirements.
- On the certificate, the licensee's name must appear under "Insured." It may be listed as an "a.k.a." or "d.b.a."
- The policy number and effective dates must be included on the certificate.
- The certificate must be marked for Commercial General Liability coverage. The certificate must also be marked for the following:
a. Product liability ($1,000,000)
b. Contractual Liability ($1,000,000)
c. Personal & Advertising Injury ($1,000,000)
d. $1,000,000 of coverage for Each Occurrence (Claims made policies are not accepted).
- The "Description" area on the face of the certificate must include the following statement:
"Additional Insured: Strategic Marketing Affiliates, Inc. ("SMA") all in accord with (insert applicable endorsement form number here, either a Grantor of License endorsement or a Designated Person or Organization endorsement), as modified and attached, hereto. Strategic Marketing Affiliates, Inc. ("SMA"), all institutions represented by SMA for which insured is licensed, and their respective officers, agents and employees."
(If your carrier uses Insurance Services Office (ISO) forms, the correct Grantor of License endorsement number is CG 20 36 10 01 and the correct Designated Person or Organization endorsement is CG 20 26 11 85 or CG 20 26 07 04. If ISO forms are not used, you must use a Grantor of License or Designated Person or Organization equivalent. Please be sure to include the equivalent endorsement form number in the Description area of the certificate.)
- Grantor of License endorsement form (ISO form CG 20 36 10 01) or a Designated Person or Organization endorsement form (ISO form CG 20 26 11 85 or CG 20 26 07 04) must be signed by the agent (if applicable) and attached to the insurance certificate (it is not acceptable to include the endorsement language in the Description section of the certificate).
SMA can only accept a Designated Person or Organization or Grantor of License endorsement.
SMA will not accept a Vendors endorsement, Grantor of Franchise endorsement, or Owners, Lessees, or Contractors endorsements. The contractual relationship between SMA and the licensee does not fall within the parameters defined by these endorsement types.
If your company does not use ISO forms, SMA will accept comparable forms as long as they are Grantor of License or Designated Person or Organization endorsements or equivalents.
- The language of the additional insured endorsement must read exactly as follows:
Name of Person or Organization
Strategic Marketing Affiliates, Inc. ("SMA"), all institutions represented by SMA for which insured is licensed, and their respective officers, agents and employees.
- The certificate holder must be listed exactly as follows:
Strategic Marketing Affiliates, Inc.
8900 Keystone Crossing, Suite 605
Indianapolis, IN 46240
- The policy number(s) must be included on the additional insured endorsement. We also recommend that the insured's name be included somewhere on the endorsement form if possible.
Still Have Questions?
If you can't find the answers you're seeking, please send an email to email@example.com. Please include client's name (the licensee), your insurance company name, a description of your question/needs, and your email and phone number within the body of your email, and we will contact you as soon as possible.